David Frum went on a little twitter rant today – listing the ten biggest reasons why Romney’s campaign is struggling these days:
(1) This AM’s Politico story about Stuart Stevens being to blame for Romney campaign’s troubles utterly misses the point.
(2) The Romney campaign has a messaging problem because it has a policy problem.
(3) The policy problem is that the Romney campaign offers nothing but bad news to hardpressed Americans and the broader middle class.
(4) How do you message: I’m doing away w Medicaid over the next 10 yrs, Medicare after that, to finance a cut in the top rate of tax to 28%?
(5) I don’t care if you hire the people who produce the ATT ads that make my wife cry, there’s no lipsticking that pig.
(6) The problem isn’t the campaign leadership; it’s the party’s followership
(7) Over course of campaign, Romney has changed from a pragmatic, capable manager into a dog-whistling culture warrior.
(8) Candidate cd have and shd have resisted that pressure – but it’s rich for ppl who demanded the change to complain about consequences.
(9) I thought Stevens’ – drafted Tampa speech did good job of humanizing the man, Mitt Romney
(10) But voters do care about the q: what will this presidency do for me? And “dick you over” is not a winning answer